Sometimes it feels like the queue of emails, piles of papers and ‘to do’ lists and all the rest of your life is just too overwhelming. Who has time for creativity or innovation? It’ll just mean more work and more pressure. Yet creativity is probably just what you need. A chance for that unique, creative voice to shine, to re-energise, reinvent and re-imagine. To think about and create a new future.
In this era of disruption, a culture of innovation is one of the main reasons for the success of many fast growing companies.
They use creative thinking to attack problems of all sizes and innovate new ideas, while many other companies are still afraid of harnessing creativity. Since we live in a business world that is changing so rapidly, it’s hard to keep up with the competition.
Thinking creatively and fostering a culture of innovation is a competitive advantage.
Here’s what you can do to develop a culture of innovation at your company:
- Fuel Passion: With a passionate and committed team, a realistic timeline and an aligned purpose, you can accomplish anything.
- Know your market: Knowledge is power in business. Stay abreast of what the competition are doing, what the media is saying and how consumer habits are changing. Learn from other sectors. Read diverse books and media and continue to learn about the broader challenges and opportunities caused by massive technological disruption across all sectors.
- Think outside the box: Innovation is all about exploiting an observed gap in the market so look at how you can fulfil that gap. Focus on your customer’s needs. How can you meet and exceed their expectations? To be the first to market you have to dare to be different!
- Stay focussed: Be really clear about what you want and how you will get there. Obstacles are the things you see when you have lost sight of your goal. Challenge negative thoughts.
- Never Give up: As Steve Jobs famously said: “Stay hungry, stay foolish”which means never be satisfied, and always push yourself. Research shows you need at least 50 ideas to get 10 potential projects, of which only two will be successful, so don’t be disheartened if your initial ideas aren’t a success
- Maximize Diversity: Create opportunities for “positive human collisions” to occur. Connect people to others they’d be unlikely to meet. Bring together teams of men and women that are multi-faith, multi-generational and multi-cultural. Opportunities will spark!
- Celebrate and reward ideas: If you want your team to be creative, you need to establish an environment that rewards them for doing so. And remember that creative ideas need to make sense and must be implementable and of value. Ideas without an implementation plan are of little value.
- Be Courageous and Embrace Failure: In most companies, people are so afraid of making mistakes that they don’t pursue their dreams. We have a very risk-averse culture.I like to think of failure as the First Attempt In Learning. Every great entrepreneur has failed many times on the way to success.
- Ask Questions and Be Curious:Innovators actively explore the environment, challenge status quo and investigate new possibilities. Ask questions such as: What if? Why not? What will be needed to make this work? Who will do it? How much time and budget is required? Also look at what you are already doing within your business. Can you build on an idea to better it?
- Flexible/Adaptable:Innovators can handle uncertainty, initiate new projects and are able to adjust the “game plan” as needed. Be prepared to pivot to meet changing circumstances and consumer needs.
To inspire you and your team’s creative juices, please watch and share my recent TEDxMelbourne talk viewed by over 17,000 people so far!:) At Creativity Australia we are changing the world, one voice at a time!
And follow me on Twitter @TaniadeJong
Register now for Creative Innovation 2015 Asia Pacific, From Disruption to Sustainable Growth, 23-25 March 2015, Sofitel Melbourne On Collins, Australia
Disruption through new business models is probably the greatest threat your organisation will face within the next 5 years. One of the great challenges for organisations is understanding the impact of disruption on the future. Because of disruption, business models are more vulnerable than ever before. Yet that can also lead to great opportunities. Understanding and being comfortable with disruption is a competitive advantage
Creative Innovation 2015 Asia Pacific is the premiere event in the region for anyone who cares about creativity, innovation, leadership and change. Ci2015 will deliver world class creative and innovation leadership, forecasts, strategies and pragmatic solutions to help you navigate through disruption to sustainable growth.
Join big and small business, entrepreneurs, educators, creative and government leaders, emerging talent and over 40 leading innovators and thinkers from around the World, Asia and Australia.
It is the must-attend event for everyone seeking fresh insights, ideas, tools and connections. Creative Innovation 2013 Asia Pacific was named Corporate Event of the Year in the Global Eventex Awards.
Conference plus Deep Conversations, Master Classes, Gala Dinner, incredible Australian performers and artists…not to be missed! A place to imagine and co-create the future!
We are delighted to offer a special discount to Ci2015 for our community and stakeholders. Please use the password “growth” to receive 10% off Platinum, Gold and Silver conference packages.
Deep Conversation tickets start at $125 and Master Classes at $250.
Please see Program at a Glance for more information